Tuesday 2 June 2009

Today is a good day, so far. While the weather is unseasonably high--it was 20 degrees celsius before 11am; I was actually warm while waiting for my tram to work at 8am--the writing is going well. I tackled part of a new scene from Chapter Three at lunch, and I think I may be on to a winner. I've been struggling with the characterisation of one of my supporting characters and rewrote the first scene between her and my MC about five times in the past year. Today, I think I stumbled on the exact way to highlight what should hopefully be the reader's first impression of her. I'm so happy I could dance!

In other news, I also downloaded a 30 day trial of Scrivener last night, and so far I'm quite impressed. It's a lot faster than Word and as of yet hasn't made my (rapidly approaching middle-age) Macbook groan and stall. I'll know for sure in the next week or so, but I think I'll be shelling out to be a license for it!

(Today is also the release day for Sarah Rees Brennan's YA debut The Demon's Lexicon! I had the luck of getting an ARC of this (one of the benefits of working in a bookstore and being able to pester reps!) and to meet Sarah herself, who is lovely. This is definitely one of my top reads of 2009: witty, dark and extremely moving, with characters that stayed with me for a long time after finishing it. If you can, definitely get your hands on this one.)

No comments: