So I've spent the last few days staring at a brief outline of the end of the book. Most of my time has been spent drumming my fingers and trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with the ending - something just didn't sit right.
And then I browsed through the Tragic Villains post in absolutewrite and I suddenly figured it out: my antagonist's motivations were shallow, at best. I knew there was something under the surface; there had been enough hints scattered through, and I was so close to figuring it out. So I made a cup of tea and thought about it for a while, and then it all just popped into my head.
It's going to mean even more rewriting than what's already on my plate, but it's also going to flesh out my antagonist, which is always a good thing.
I also have three days off in a row next weeks, so I'm hoping to have a good lot of the rewriting done by the end of that time off. Whoo!