Wednesday 23 July 2008

I fully admit I haven't updated in a while. *waves hand sheepishly* Unfortunately, my life hasn't been very exciting! Writing is still happening, though some unexpected twists on the life road have thrown my self-made deadline to the curb a little bit. I am almost a quarter of the way through TWFF. The second draft of CR will begin on September/October when my thesis will finally be submitted.

I'm very excited about TWFF--it's been a long time since I've had such a teen-focused story to work on, and it's brought back many memories from my own teen years (some good and others bad, of course). It's also unintentionally touching on some things I've been experiencing for the last few years, and this in itself is a very strange feeling. I haven't unexpectedly borrowed so freely from my own life for my writing before and, while this is good, weaving it into the story without readers stopping and realising I'm talking directly to them though the characters, whether deliberate or not, will be a challenge. But it's one I'm up for, I think. :)

Anyway, I've been making very good writing progress for the past few days, so I think I better get back to it.

2 comments:

Jamie Ford said...

I think most fiction writers end up spilling a little blood on the page--consciously or unconsciously, it just happens. It does in my stuff anyway.

I like the new book title!

Helen said...

Apologies for the late comment--I literally found out last week that, surprise!, I had to find a new place to live on very short notice. So then there was a scramble to room hunt in Dublin (*weeps*) and then a scramble to move (*wails*), but now that's all over, thankfully.

I agree, it usually happens to me too, in some way or another. But this is the first time where some issues have manifested themselves in books have echoed my own experiences so uncannily. It's a little unnerving.

Thank you! This is what comes from poring over poetry at 2am...